Search
  • Mark Shaw

Is this a Pen?

In giving presentations I often hold up the object in the photo and ask the audience “what am I holding?”


The typical responses include a:

  • Pen

  • Parker pen

  • Parker ball point pen

  • Writing device

….. to which I always respond “no”.


You see no one suggests it is a back scratcher, paper weight, temporary paper clip, secret-spy poison injector, secret-spy camera or an ear cleaner because to 98% of us it is a pen and if I use it for something else, I’d happily tell you what I use it for.


However it is different for the 2%-ers (see http://neoshr.com.au/manage-2-percenters/). 


They don’t respect the facts or care about the opinion of others.


This is why I argue for people to clarify if the ‘thing’ under discussion is a FACT or an OPINION.


You see a fact is something we all agree upon and an opinion is everything else. While making a 2%-er understand this can be challenging, it is very worthwhile when it is achieved.

Back to my presentation. I then explain how when my children were very young (under 5 yoa) and would come running saying “daddy he hit me” my response was to ask “did you hit your brother?” to which a common reply was “no I punched him”! 

To 98% of us there is no difference between a hit and a punch.  To the remaining 2% there is a huge difference.


My experience indicates that when dealing with a 2%-er the best thing to do is focus on the facts (and be able to prove your facts).  2%-ers generally want to discuss their opinion or interpretation of the facts rather than simple accept the facts as agreed to by everyone else. 


I always recommend you go to the trouble of actually agreeing on the facts with the 2%-er. 


Then discuss the management problem caused by these (now agreed) facts.  A template for such a discussion can be downloaded from http://neoshr.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/MAP-template.pdf


So next time you are going to ask someone “is that a pen?” check if they are a 2%-er. If they are, then check your facts before you ask the question.  If not, just get on with business as usual.


This extra little step will generally help you avoid a major debate and a lot of personal stress for you.


Ps. If you are unsure how to use the template I referred you to, call me and I am happy to share my experiences.

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Scenario Jose has worked for the business for about four years and has been an average to above average employee until about six months ago. That’s when people noticed the following. His work quality

There are many well recognised problems with staff performance reviews including the facts that they are used for too many reasons, are confusing, too bureaucratic, generate meaningless data and add z

I was reading an article recently that suggested performance appraisals are for (1) providing feedback, (2) modifying or changing behaviour and (3) judging future job assignments and remuneration. The